Friday, May 16, 2014

Why Yes, I Bought Myself a Card

One of the things I occasionally do which some people might find a bit on the odd side of the spectrum is that I buy myself cards. Sometimes. Sometimes it's because I like the picture or sentiment but don't have an occasion that matches the card. Sometimes, like yesterday, it's because I feel like the card is giving me something I need: it throws a challenge in my face about something I need to own up to, focus on, or just plain acknowledge. The card speaks directly to my soul, like some kind of voodoo psychic. It's watching me.

The card I picked up yesterday has this message in it:

I know it must be hard
having to stop
everything for awhile
and just focus on getting better.
But whenever you
find yourself
worrying about
the million and one things
you think you should
be doing instead
just remember...
This time is for you.
Your time to rest.
Your time to heal.
And nothing's more important than that.
Because you're important.

I've been pretty focused lately on trying to figure out some way to coordinate all my medical appointments with my upcoming return to work. To be honest, I feel like time is one of the things I don't have on my side. I was thinking I still had a week of 4 days left on my progressive return-to-work plan, but because of the way the director of my clinical trial filled out my medical certificate, my short-term-disability plan is requiring me to return to work full-time as soon as the treatment is completed. And, let's face it, it's not like a single day off would have made that big of a dent. It would have been more like a polite society lady nibbling a cucumber sandwich, and less like the way I tackle an ice-cream sundae. By which I mean a small, ladylike bite rather than an all-consuming bite of humongous gluttony. Beware my ice cream eating mouth of DOOM!!

It's just all so...overwhelming. I have at least two appointments with the psychiatrist at the Douglas once treatment is over so we can do an assessment; with the travel time, I know I won't be able to make up all the hours I miss work. I have to see my St. Mary's Psychiatrist at least once to adjust my medication levels, and probably a few more times for follow-up, which is time I won't be able to give back, either. This all strikes me as annoying, but ultimately manageable, as they are once-in-a-while things.

But I'm worried about the psychologist I've started seeing at St Mary's. That's probably going to be a once-a-week-thing, with me missing at least an hour and a half each time. For me, that means I'll be working an hour and a half overtime on another day, or spread out over a few days, to try and make up the hours I've missed. Every week. Until we've accomplished whatever our goals are supposed to be. I'm worried about it. I'm worried about always getting home late, and burning out a new and fragile remission. I'm worried because I know what disruptions to my schedule do to my mood, and my sleep, and my ability to do all of the other things that are part of my illness management. I don't know how I'm going to handle it all.

If I could work part-time, just until I get some solid ground under my feet, that would be ideal. Financially, I know I can do it. But, realistically, if I decided not to make up the missing time, that would mean a significant rate of absenteeism, and I'm not sure I could pull that off right now after already having taken so much sick leave. I wish I could have had treatment while I was an inpatient. I wish I could have left the hospital and returned to work having actually been better. When I think of all the time this illness has stolen from me this year, I find myself wondering what the point of it was, what it was all for. I worry that I will undo everything we've been working toward.

There was a woman in the hospital with me who was there by court order, and I remember her psychiatrist yelling at her that it was her time to get better, that it was her time to be well. I wonder what that would be like, really having that time, having someone in my corner who wasn't looking for a fix that would prop me up enough to keep going. I wonder if wellness would be worth that sacrifice, the cost and the effort involved. I don't know, I've never really done it, just taken the time to get better, work on all my shit. You'd think I would have done it when I took 8 months of sick leave from graduate school, but sadly my psychiatrist was not interested in exploring all the shit that was coming up and out of me, so I ended up stuck in the same place as before - except that I recovered less functionality. Win?

What I'm trying to say, I think, is that I bought the card for myself because in my fantasy puppies-and-rainbows world this is how things would be. But reality isn't like a skittles commercial, and ultimately I come away finding that what matters isn't so much me as it is my capacity to contribute, to be useful, to fill the roles that I am supposed to fill. I think I can do it: I've done it before. I'm just worried that I won't ever have the chance to really be well, which is - after all - what I was so desperately searching for in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment