Friday, June 6, 2014

Short-Term Disability (Or, the Insurance Policy I Didn't Even Know I Had)

I went into the hospital at the beginning of January to get some stitches, because I knew that I literally couldn't do my job with a gaping hole in my forearm. Oh sure, there were some other reasons. For starters, I'd actually been making incisions in my arm in an attempt to locate my artery, because I was convinced it would look really beautiful when I sliced it open...luckily, my lack of stamina as well as my apparent lack of basic anatomical knowledge meant that I eventually gave up and decided to go to church instead, where a friend helped me get to the emergency room.

For another, I knew I needed some sort of help that I just wasn't getting. I was both relieved and devastated when I was finally admitted to the psychiatric ward at St. Mary's. I was relieved because I knew that I was incapable of doing my job, and this would save me from destroying my fledgling career. I was relieved because I'd been having an incredibly public breakdown all over social media and being unplugged from the internet would keep me from posting any more cartoons about how I wished I was dead, and generally humiliating myself any further (P.S. it's really hard to look people in the face after you've had a complete meltdown in public view for a few weeks). I was relieved because I didn't have to spend any more energy trying - and failing - to pretend that I am perfectly fine, goddamit!

But I was also kind of a little crushed inside, in the part of me that cares, the soft squishy vulnerable part of me that I have to shield at all time because weakness is a liability that just isn't acceptable. Weakness means rape, and pain, and all sorts of failure. I just can't stand it. Every time a doctor talks to me about allowing myself to be vulnerable I want to punch them in the face and throw myself off the nearest building.

But I digress.

It was crushing to call my boss every day during the first week and tell her that I was still in the hospital and wouldn't be coming into the office. It was humiliating to be so...I don't know...a terrible employee. I knew that I was protected from being fired because it's against the law to fire someone for being in the hospital, but I still felt pretty shitty. You've got to be thinking you've made the wrong hiring decision when your employee goes AWOL less than a year into the job; it wasn't fair to either my manager or my team for me to so completely drop the ball. I felt like someone had thrown me the ball, it was busy season and they needed everyone to be on their A-game, and I was like 'Oh, this ball? I think I'll just throw it back in your face.'

I hadn't been hospitalized at all since 2006, and my last significant stay was in 2002-2003. I felt like I'd wasted all this time and all these years only to find myself back in the same shit-hole. I was so disappointed in myself, in my failures, in all the things I should have done to get better but somehow didn't manage to get around to doing.

Me and the hospital. I was like 'Please, please, help me. Please save me from myself,' and also, 'I don't deserve to be here, and I don't have what it takes to get better, so you might at well give me the boot and make room for someone who will.'

Anyway, in one of my many conversations with my manager, she mentioned that we'd been using up the two weeks of sick days I had in my bank, and then we'd be contacting HR to get started on a short-term disabilities claim. I was like, 'short-term what in the what now?'

I'd been thinking that I was really fortunate not to get fired, and that I'd saved up money for years so that if I was ever too sick to work I wouldn't end up homeless and completely bankrupt. But, instead, it turned out I had an entire short-term disabilities insurance policy that would pay 75% of my salary. It had come with my job, and I didn't even know it. I work in the insurance industry, and I knew the insurance they were giving me as part of my compensation package was outstanding, but I didn't even know short-term disability was a thing.

I felt so, so lucky. But, when week three of my hospitalization rolled around and it was time to fill out the complex paperwork, I also felt deeply conflicted. I was basically saying, to my employer and to myself, that I was a failure. I was incapable of working. I was worthless, a financial liability. I couldn't even do my job. I have always tried so hard, worked so hard, kept going no matter the personal cost, and here I was giving up. I mean, why couldn't I just make myself go in to the office? I'd been doing it before, hadn't I? I felt so overwhelmed and incapable. I'm not sure I've managed to work out all the things I was feeling.

When I finally did go back to work on a progressive return, and started to struggle with working four days a week, I wondered if I would ever be able to work a full week again, if I would be able to manage it. I was doing the best I could, but I was failing. And then, I went back on full disability benefits to receive rTMS treatment at the Douglas. I realized, 'I am disabled.' It wasn't something I thought I'd ever have to say about myself. I am disabled.

I still struggle with what saying that means. I was disabled. The part of me that's trying to learn self-compassion tells me that it's okay, that it's not my fault I was sick, that this is something that just happens. I was lucky to get through it. I was lucky that rTMS treatment worked well and I could get back to my old activity level without distress. I was lucky. I know that having been disabled doesn't say anything about my character, or my strength, or my worth as a human being. But I still feel somehow less than I did before. I still wonder what value my life has when I can't be a functioning, productive member of society. Sure, everyone needs a little help sometimes, but not everybody ends up disabled because they just can't handle their workload.

I am so, so lucky to be employed at a place that gave me such great insurance, because not everyone has that benefit. I am so, so lucky that my team and managers believed in me, and welcomed me back so seamlessly. I am so, so lucky that HR and my short-term disabilities case-worker were so compassionate and willing to work out a solution that would get me back in the workforce without making me sick again. But I also feel broken. And I'm not really sure when I'll feel whole again.

No comments:

Post a Comment