Sunday, August 31, 2014

On Faking Happiness (or Energy, or Excitement, or Surprise, or...)

During one of my therapy sessions, my psychologist asked me if I was as animated at work as I was when we'd start out our meetings. The short answer is yes...and also no.

I interact with people on the job a relatively small amount of the time. I see people in the morning, which is when we do most of our socializing: before our shift starts. I ask people about their night, their plans for the weekend, and we talk. We hang out. It's great. It also lasts less that fifteen minutes a day.

During our daily team meeting, I try to be as peppy and upbeat as I can. This has always been the way I present myself: fun, energetic, ceaselessly amusing, always, always smiling. I wear happiness like a second skin that I don't quite fit into. The meeting is relatively short, and we spend most of it listening.

Sometimes, I have lunch with one of the girls, and we get half an hour to talk while we shovel food into our mouths. It's nice! But, most days, my lunch breaks work out so that I'm eating alone in a room. 

At the end of the day, we pretty much just say goodbye to each other as we run out the door while the next shift is coming in. I'm really lucky, because I get along well with the person who shares our desk, so I get to spend at least a few minutes chatting with him. It's a nice way to end the day, getting to talk to someone who's just starting his day but understands how the job can suck the life right out of you by the time eight hours are over. 

So yes, I am animated at work. For short, constrained periods of time. And then I get on with doing my job, which is inherently pulling me into my own little world of focus and concentration, and I don't have to be anything anymore. I don't have to be funny, or friendly, or social, or lively, because I'm by myself, and everyone else is, too. I can recover for the next time I have to be those things.

This is much, much better than last fall and winter, when I was so depressed I couldn't pretend anymore. Co-workers who'd known me only a few months told me I'd changed, that I never smiled anymore. My manager recommended the employee helpline and told me to take a sick day, or a vacation, or anything. So it's very, very important to me that I be able to keep putting on my second skin, day after day, so it looks like I've gone back to 'normal.'

The truth is, I haven't all-the-way recovered the range of emotions I had at baseline -- which is what I call my normal 'functional' level of moderate chronic depression. I don't feel happiness like I used to: it seems to come around now without a spark, without that sparkle. But I can feel something, and I have worked as a receptionist so I know how to look cheerful even when you want to yell at someone. I don't feel excitement like I used to: I really can't get enthusiastic about anything, although I'm learning how to perform excitement socially so that other people are satisfied and pleased with my reaction. I don't have the social energy I'm used to: interacting with people and pretending to feel things I don't feel takes it out of me more than I expect. 

A lot of feelings are just blunted, or missing, or layered with something else -- like I'm grabbing at them through a filmy fog. I just, somehow, don't feel like myself. In small ways, like the way I haven't planned for or gotten excited about Comiccon at all this year. I'm trying to keep doing all the things I used to do, but it's hard, because I just don't feel the same way about them anymore: I don't feel the same passion, the same drive, the same intensity, the same pleasure anymore.

I betray myself in little ways, like when I say I'm planning to do a certain thing when I'm feeling better. But the thing is that there's no guarantee that I will, is there? I never fully recovered my cognitive abilities after my last major depressive episode in 2009. Likewise, I never recovered my full energy levels after becoming acutely ill in 2006. Maybe, this time, it's my emotional range that's getting the short end of the stick. I hope and I pray that this isn't true, that I'm just having a slow recovery. I have a lot of hope, and with the grace of God a lot of patience to ride this thing out. But I am still afraid.

I feel scared because I don't want to let people down: people get a lot of pleasure from seeing others' excitement, especially when you're involved in something together. I worry about how this will affect some of my relationships, the ones that are grounded on things that I just don't feel right now, and the ways that might change my bond with the people I love and who love me. I am afraid of what my life will look like when this is over, and who I will be, and whether or not it will allow me to be who I want to become.

The psychologist and theologian William James believed that we can behave our way into emotions, and in many ways by choosing to fake happiness what I'm really doing is trying to bring it back into my life as something I really feel. Of course it's also about looking 'normal' to the people around me. But it's something I choose to do for myself as well.

I'll take it one smile at a time.    

1 comment:

  1. You may feel that this is a slow recovery, but it is important to remember that you ARE recovering. If you compare yourself now to a year ago, it is clear that you are headed in the right direction. Sometimes we cannot rush a long journey, we just need to ensure we keep going in the right direction.

    A question: who do you want to become?

    ReplyDelete